You can improve your driving skills during National Traffic Awareness Month. Freshening up on your driving skills can help you avoid a car accident, and it can save lives. This is critical because car accidents, unfortunately, are common occurrences in the United States. You should always learn about ways you can become a safer driver.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), motor vehicle accidents claimed 42,915 lives in 2021, and that number is 10.5 percent higher than the previous year. In 2021, traffic deaths reached a 16-year high. The NHTSA says the fatality numbers increased in the following car accident categories:
- Fatal multi-vehicle accidents: 16 percent.
- Fatal accidents on urban streets: 16 percent.
- Fatal accidents among senior drivers: 14 percent.
- Pedestrian accident fatalities: 13 percent.
- Fatal accidents involving one large truck: 13 percent.
- Daytime traffic fatalities: 11 percent.
- Fatal motorcycle accidents: nine percent.
- Bicyclist fatalities: five percent.
- Fatal speed accidents: five percent.
- Fatal alcohol-related accidents: five percent.
Fortunately, drivers can take simple steps to prevent accidents and injuries.
How Can You Avoid a Car Accident?
National Traffic Awareness Month is a great time to review some safe driving tips and learn about what causes car accidents. Here are some driving tips you can follow this August and all year round:
- Buckle up your seat belt. You always should buckle up your seat belt, and make sure any passengers are using their seat belts too. Do not start the car until everyone is buckled up.
- Make sure child passengers are safe. If you have a small child with you, a child safety seat that is properly installed will help protect them.
- Obey the posted speed limit and traffic laws. You also should abide by the posted speed limits and obey traffic laws. If the weather is poor, adjust your speed accordingly. Speeding and violating other drivers’ rights-of-way are common causes of accidents.
- Eliminate distractions. Turning off your cellphone and minimizing potential distractions will help you drive safely. It is helpful to put your cellphone on Do Not Disturb mode.
- Do not drink and drive. If you enjoy social drinking at bars or parties, you should do your best to avoid driving while under the influence. If possible, use a rideshare service, or ask a sober friend to take you home.
- Check your blind spots. It is important to use the mirrors and check your blind spots before changing lanes or turning.
- Maintain a safe following distance. Maintaining a safe following distance will help you stop safely and react better to dangerous traffic situations.
- Maintain your vehicle. You should always have a properly maintained vehicle. You cannot drive safely if your vehicle is in disrepair.
National Traffic Awareness Month is an ideal time to recognize the driving behaviors that are most associated with traffic fatalities. You can prevent an accident by driving safely and by being informed.
Mount Holly Car Accident Lawyer at the Law Office of David S. Rochman Advocates for Car Accident Survivors
You can get help with your accident case when you call our experienced Mount Holly car accident lawyer at Law Office of David S. Rochman. Call us at 856-751-2345 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation. Located in Mount Laurel, New Jersey, we serve clients throughout Burlington County and the surrounding areas.